zondag 7 september 2014

Sun Bonnet Sue from the '30s

.... my friend Marne is very good at finding interesting antique quilts tops and blocks for me.

This Sun Bonnet Suue blocks she brought with her last year, and they were waiting in my cupboard to finish.

This is the story about the blocks given by  Doris to her daughter Susan, who is a friend of Marne. (Doris is the daughter of the Grace Quilt).

Letter from Doris to me.

The blocks were made by Clara Petefish Moore (1918-2008/2009?), 1st cousin to Frances Moore, Frances was a friend of Doris. She started these blocks 80 years ago (1932). Sugar sacks were used during the depression as were flour sacks and feed sacks. Clare gave the sugar sacks block to Sandy Mercer O'Brien, daughter of Frances. Clara had no childrens and spent the last 18 year of her life in a nursing home, part of the time bedfast. She lived in or surrounding Lawrence Kansas.

I sewed the blocks together. In my antique quilt box with leftover pieces from antique quilt I found some nice blocks to make a border. I hand-quilted it, and put a binding around from a new red fabric. Now it's waiting to go with me on my antique show-and-tell.

I did some research on the internet to found more about Clara. And I found this picture of her and story about her life.




Geen opmerkingen: